Based in Johannesburg, South Africa
Phase Edge is a melee focused, free-roaming adventure shmup. Pilot your small, but formidable craft through swarms of foul monstrosities and cybernetic juggernauts, carving a path of destruction through the games cavernous levels. Master your ship’s flexible, dual-type hybrid gun system and make short work of your enemies. Turn the intimidating maelstrom of enemy bullets to your advantage by deflecting them back to your foes with the ships powerful twin-blade attack, simultaneously fueling your insanely powerful hyper-blaster.
Initially developed as 'zX' work began in October 2011. Concieved as a simple beginners project, 'zX' has since expanded into a somewhat larger and more polished commercial endeavour. The name went through various iterations. zX: Hyperblast occured due to the need of a game to be at least 3 characters long to be searchable on Steam Greenlight. Eventually the name switched to Phase Edge to better represent the game, it's mechanics, and story.
- Hand-crafted retro-futuristic aethetics
- Bullet-deflecting blades eliminate the need for dodging, providing more reward for aggressive play
- Flexible primary / secondary hybrid gun system features 12 distinct projectile types
- Hub based level progression. Completed levels can be accessed at will
- Satisfying destruction and bullet-hell euphoria
Gameplay Video YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Phase Edge. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Showcase A MAZE 2013" Berlin, 24 April, 2013
- "MGSA home.Coded rAge 2014" Johannesburg, October 2014
- "Showcase A MAZE Johannesburg 2015" Johannesburg, September 2015
- "It’s a tough little game, but my word, is it ever fun, and so very well presented."
- Chris Priestman, IndieStatik
- "I feel that the game's focus on melee combat differentiates it from many shmups - you really need to master the blade attacks to get anywhere in zX. This feature and the combination of awesome soundtrack and glowy neon visuals totally won me over."
- J. Monkman, Retro Gamer CD
- "This is an intense and satisfying game which should fulfill your need for an arcade shooter."
- John P. Martin, Indie Retro News
- "retroFuture's zX is not like most shmups. Instead of encouraging passive play or requiring the player to dodge a ton of bullets, players should dive straight into the line of fire to reflect enemy shots and power up their hyper gun."
- John Polson, Indiegames.com
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Punk Arcade
Punk game devs. Retro-futuristic game design and aesthetics. The essence of the old with the technique of the new.
More information on Punk Arcade, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Phase Edge Credits
Michael de Jager
Design, Art, Music/SFX, Programming
Programming, Design, Production/Biz
SFX and Music: Freelance